Friday, November 22, 2013

Pumpkin Pear Bread


Around this wonderful time of year in Oregon, as the leaves change color and the autumn air turns crisp and cold, and well lets be honest it usually starts to rain...a lot, I can't help but feel my inner housewife start to emerge, exciting my senses into desiring to bake everything that includes the word pumpkin. I picture myself in an adorable little apron, my hair up in a beautiful bun, with a warm little home consumed in the aroma of holiday spices. My little Ellie is in a sweet dress, her perfect golden curls pinned up with a bow, and she is gently helping me stir a bowl of batter. We can't wait for daddy to come walking through the door and see what we have done! *sigh*

Truth be told, I don't even own an apron, I typically spend my entire day in pajama pants and an old T-shirt, and my hair resembles something more from a movie you might call "I haven't showered in a few days and forgot where my brush is." My house is not usually that warm (heat is expensive!) and smells more like the dog and cat somewhat masked by a holiday candle scent. Ellie's typical daily attire consists of footed pajamas that are zipped on backwards because she cannot control her toddler urges to undress constantly. She never allows bows in her hair these days, and why would she considering she doesn't even want clothes touching her? Having her help me "gently" stir a bowl of batter is just a comical sentence in itself. This would most likely end in an on the floor, kicking and screaming tantrum because I won't let her have it all and half of the delicious concoction would most likely be on me, her, the unsuspecting animals and various parts of the kitchen. Lastly, we actually do really love when daddy comes walking through that door at night. We look forward to it and it is truly the highlight of our day!

An oldie but goodie of Daddy's little girl.
Don't get me wrong, I do love to bake. Also, eating delicious holiday treats isn't really so bad either. It just isn't always as much of a fairytale as I might like to picture it. A quick and easy solution if I am having an "I want to bake and eat yummy things all day but have a toddler to take care of" type of day? My mommy! She recently made this amazingly delicious Pumpkin Pear Bread, and all I had to do was make some coffee to enjoy alongside it. It is so moist and delicious. She changed a few things from the original recipe, which can be found here: pumpkin pear bread .

Mommy's version: makes 2 loaves

Pumpkin Pear Bread
 
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 large ripe pears, peeled and mashed (it's okay if there are small chunks)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 cups all purpose flour 
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 TBS+1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 TBS cinnamon 
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Cream the butter and sugar with a standing or handheld mixer.
  • Add the pumpkin and pear purees. 
  • Beat in the eggs one at a time.
  • In a separate bowl sift the flour and remaining ingredients.
  • Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture a little at a time until combined. Do not overly mix or beat the mixture. 
  • Place in two 9x5 inch greased loaf pans.
  • Bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
  • Cool for 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edges of the loaf pan to help release onto a cooling rack. 
  • Enjoy!
Muffins can be made by baking for 15 to 20 minutes. 
mmmmmmmmm
 


No comments:

Post a Comment